[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:51:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
>> On Monday 04 January 2010 12:08:00 am Big Wave Dave wrote:
>>> This could be an interesting companion to MythTV (if it is indeed true):
>>>
>>> http://www.geektonic.com/2010/01/silicondust-to-announce-cablecard.html
>>
>> One of the articles linked to by this one (specifically,
>> http://www.geektonic.com/2009/09/microsoft-media-center-announements.html)
>> includes the following:
>>
>> : # Looser DRM Flagging for content – The ATI Tuners will get a firmware
>> : update that will relax DRM.  I believe this means that only content flagged
>> : as “protected” by the cable company will have DRM – all other content should
>> : be DRM-free unlike current CableCard recorded content.
>>

> I assume this flagging will be similar the 5C on firewire.

Which is done in a somewhat bizarre manner these days.  For example, I
get virtually every channel I pay for (which is just about all
channels including premiums) over firewire.  There are some
exceptions, but the two notable ones are my local PBS affiliate in HD
and my CBS affiliate in HD.  A little unusual that I can get HBO in HD
over firewire but not public broadcasting.  Of course, I am one of the
lucky few because many of these channels do not come over firewire
from other people's cable provider (as far as I know, the user I know
on this list who has my same cable company also is in this situation,
which is why I stick with this cable provider).

So the 5C does not seem to be mandated by the broadcaster but rather
is done independently by the cable provider.  Very strange.