[mythtv-users] What about an impatient wife ?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 17:56:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Gareth Glaccum
<gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com> wrote:
> From: Mark Small <msmall at eastlink.ca>
>> > So during prime time here in the U.S. I usually have four recordings
>> > running at the same time from about 7PM-10PM.  She can't wait...
>> >
>> > So my question is does this screw up recordings when being watched?
>> > Of coarse she suffers through the commercials but she doesn't care.
>> >

>> I do it all the time on my 0.21 setup.  The only problem I see is that
>> once
>> the recording finishes I can't skip forward any more.  The osd shows 0:00
>> of
>> 0:00.  Exiting to the recording menu and hitting play fixes this, and I
>> don't
>> lose my position.
>
> This only ever happened to me if the recordings were being transcoded
> afterwards.
> If the transcode finished, the old file was deleted, and replaced. (As it
> was linux, only the file header/inode went),
> so I was still able to view the rest of the recording.
>
> Fix was to turn off transcoding, as I didn't really need it.

It's even worse if slow deletes are enabled -- playback simply aborts
without setting a bookmark or anything (in fact, transcoding
explicitly clears any bookmark).  I got tired enough of this that I
made a patch (see ticket #7731) to delay deletion of the old file
until it is no longer in use, and also to keep the bookmark intact.
I'm not sure if or when this will make it into the code base.

Jim