[mythtv-users] Wyse Winterm frontend with PCI GeForce 8400 GS card

Dan Flett dflett at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 4 07:59:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm looking at this on ebay:
Wyse Winterm 9455XL
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170415625225&_trksid=p
2759.l1259
It's a thin client with a Via 550MHz CPU and a PCI slot.

I'm thinking I might put a bit more RAM in it, boot off a USB drive or
PXE-boot it, and put one of these in it:

GeForce 8400 GS PCI
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P1-N724-LR

The idea being I could make it an HD-capable thin frontend for about AU$300.
My main concerns are that the Power Supply might not handle the current draw
of the GeForce card, and that the fan in the card might be too loud.  Also,
I'm not 100% sure it will USB-boot properly.

Anyone think this will or won't work?

Another thin frontend I like the look of is the Wyse C-series - but the
cheapest one new is AU$500.
http://www.thewyseguys.com.au/products/NEW-!-Wyse-C-Class-%252d-Latest-Wyse-
Thin-Client.html
Still, they are tiny and have separate HD-capable graphics built-in, and are
probably more likely to work as a frontend.

Cheers,

Dan