[mythtv-users] How to specify a channel number for a programmed recording search

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Jan 3 20:52:32 UTC 2010

On Sunday 03 January 2010 09:22:43 am Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I am trying to convert my 10 or so "season passes" from my TiVo to
> searches on my Mythbox.  I am using the web interface to specify
> custom searches based on the program name.  Now I've got a few
> questions...
>
> 1) Is this the best way to do this?

There's some degree of subjectivity here. Personally, that's now how I'd do
it, since there's a simpler way: Locate a showing of the program in the
guide, select it, and then set the recording options from that. A custom
search gives you extra flexibility in specifying certain recording options,
but for most series, that's not necessary, and entering the custom search
introduces the possibility of typos and other issues causing problems and
requiring debugging time.

> 2) How can I pin a search to a particular channel?  (In particular,
> the local PBS station frequently broadcasts the same program on its HD
> and SD multiplexes -- I think I would prefer to record the SD
> multiplex).

The main recording options screen starts with an entry that has several
possible settings -- "do not record this program," "record only this
showing," etc. If you select a showing on the channel you want to record
from, picking the "record at any time on this channel" option will probably
do what you want. OTOH, this means that the rule won't record on another
channel if there's a conflict. This might or might not be important to you,
given your recording load, available tuners, the schedule for the program,
etc. If it is, a custom search rule will give you extra flexibility to prefer
a specific channel but still record on another one if the preferred channel
produces a conflict. Another possibility might be to use the "record at any
time on any channel" recording rule but give your preferred channel a
preference boost of +3 in its settings. This will have the effect of favoring
that channel even over HD programs (which by default have their own priority
boost of +2) for this and any other recordings -- but of course if you record
other shows on the HD equivalent of this channel, this would be a poor
solution.

In sum, there are lots of ways to do it. Which way is best depends on many
factors, including personal preferences.

--
Rod Smith