[mythtv-users] MythTV worth it still for HDTV?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jan 3 20:33:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 09:29:19AM -0700, David Snider wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2010, at 2:34 AM, Matt Goebel wrote:
>
> >I'm getting ready to replace my old systems in the near future.
> >My cable provider does SDV, with pretty much only the broadcast
> >channels available in clear HD.  I've been considering a couple
> >options; an HDhomerun for basic channel HD and an HDPVR, or a
> >couple HDPVRs.  On the broadcast channels I'd probably only record
> >one to two programs a day (at most), HBO Sunday nights, then there
> >would a bunch of half hour shows on other SDV channels say 3-4 per
> >day, then lots of live HD on SDV channels.  There are two
> >TV's/frontends but likely only one in use at a time.  Everything
> >would have to be female friendly (easy to use without my
> >instructions/help) and somewhat reliable and trouble free.  I'm
> >willing to pay the little extra to get a couple HDPVR's etc but
> >not a ton more.  Is MythTV even worth the effort for all this
> >anymore?  How much of a hassle setting up channels because the
> >channel guide is out of date.. or you have to do it for the
> >homerun/others?  How well is the HDPVR working these days?  Any
> >other suggestions?

    The HD-PVR works very well these days and has worked well for
a while now. If anything, HD is better than it ever was on MythTV.
You can create a MythTV setup that no 3rd party appliance can touch.
I also use DirecTV and am quite pleased with it.

    The HD-PVR costs a little more than other capture devices, and you
may need newer hardware to deal with it but you can get that hardware
for as little as $200. I have a combo BE/FE that costs $400 total for
the system and hdpvr including vdpau that quite effectively satisfies
the WAF.

> I just upgraded to 0.22.  On your old systems, you may be able to
> save some money by just replacing the graphics cards.  I dumped a

    I replaced my frontend minis with ION boxes ranging from $200 - $350.
The minis got recycled back into regular desktop use.