[mythtv-users] MythTV for TiVo converts

Charles Wright cpwright at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 13:27:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I'm just about to go live with my MythTV box, replacing my old
> Series 2 TiVo box.  I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions/wiki
> pages/blogs about helpful tips for converting my family from what they
> are used to (the Series 2 TiVo) to what I hope they will grow to love
> (the MythTV box).
>
> I've already noticed one difference...
Patrick,

I think the four best pieces of advice I can give are to:

1) Get it setup and working and make sure you like it and it is stable
enough that you trust your recordings.  Once it is doing what you
want, don't mess with it (e.g., apply updates).  Nothing is going to
be so frustrating as having it break.  Your Tivo never broke, but
there is ample opportunity to break a Mythtv installation if you mess
it up.

2) Use a vertically oriented theme.

3) Know how your remote control works.  It reduced WAF when I couldn't
explain what buttons did what (e.g., commercial skip) and first
impressions matter a lot.

4) Make sure you copy over the season passes and make sure the
priorities match the shows that other people want to watch.  Give it
some overlap so that you'll get a few episodes of each, so that they
can start using Myth without missing content that is otherwise on
Tivo.

Charles