[mythtv-users] Need advice on FC12 HD partitioning

Fa fayoeu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 18:19:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:

>  I am setting up a new MythTV system to replace my old one (intended for
> HD).  The OS is Fedora Core 12.
>

> I’m using the wiki how to,
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora  but it gives
> advice on partitioning that no longer seems valid for FC12.  For example it
> says I should use ext3 for the format of /boot and /  but jfs for /video.
> However, the format options given by the installer are
>

> ext2
>
> ext3
>
> ext4
>
> physical volume (LVM)
>
> software RAID
>
> swap
>
> vfat
>
> xfs
>

> So should I use ext4 for /boot & / and xfs for /video?  The howto says XFS
> is better “at least, when it’s stable…” which is kind of scary.

xfs is stable now, been using it for quite awhile.  If I were to do things
again, I would use ext4 as /video, since ext4 is alot more stable now.  For
your media drive, don't use LVM to concatenate storage, this gave me great
pains in the past (before storage groups), use storage groups instead from
within mythtv itself.

> Also I was advised to put /video on a separate drive, so I have a 160 gb
> drive and a 1 tb drive.  Does this affect

Always have your system partition seperate from your media files.  This will
help with performance.  Also will make it easy to upgrade and replace the
system drive if something goes wrong.

>  the recommended sizes in the howto?  Also the default partition combined
> both drives into one logical volume, which I don’t think I want if the point
> is to keep the video on a separate drive.

Yeah, keep them seperate.