[mythtv-users] MS media center

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 00:01:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/2010 17:19, Christopher Meredith wrote:
>>
>> At the end of the day, the MCE servers are open, unencrypted, and
>> freely accessible to anyone.
>>

> Are they?  Mc2xml is closed source, so you can't tell what it's doing short
> of watching it with a network monitor.

MCE and mc2xml aren't the same thing. My point was that using mc2xml
doesn't require "hacking" or spoofing the MCE servers to get the data.
If MS wants to make sure no one else can user their servers, they
could do that. But they don't, so no laws are broken by using
something like mc2xml. Whether the author of mc2xml is spying on me is
another matter. If that concerns you, by all means, don't use it.