[mythtv-users] Mythweb Slow to Render Program Detail Page as Selected From Recorded Programs page

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Fri Feb 26 01:26:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com> wrote:
> At 01:59 PM 2/25/2010, Johnny Walker wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> I had 2 Gigs of Ram in my backend and I was starting to swap to disk
>>> when I used mythweb. I added 2 more gigs and now mythweb doesn't cause
>>> me to swap out to disk. Using swap memory is much slower than actual
>>> memory. The problem is compounded if you're running mysql-server,
>>> Apache, mythbackend and the OS all on 1 physical hard drive.
>>>
>>> Swap is slow - I would avoid using it if you can.
>>>
>>> -Johnny
>>
>> For what it's worth, my backend has 512MB of ram and I've never had a
>> problem with it or with mythweb.  What sort of activity in mythweb was
>> causing that sort of memory use?  If that were typical it would have
>> used up my ram and swap which would most likely have brought the
>> machine down.  I think that program searches in 0.21 used to be broken
>> and would reach the php maximum allowed memory.
>>
>> Tom
>
> Great - now I've got another problem to look into.
>
> -Johnny
>
> I have looked at every log available and will run mysql with debug logging
> turned on, but I am stumped as to why this is happening. It takes 5 minutes
> to render and its like its waiting for something to time out before it goes
> forward. I do not believe the problem is that I am running out of memory and
> swapping.
>
> -- Mache

I had a similar problem back in 0.21, and the issue was related to
checking for removable media. The program "udevinfo" which MythTV was
using to do the check was removed by an update to udev and MythTV was
hanging waiting for a response from the non existent program. The
solution in my case was to symlink udevadmin to udevinfo:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/udevadmin /sbin/udevinfo

It looks like this issue still hasn't been fixed in trunk.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,