[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD w/subtitles, Can I toggle them with the Internal Player?

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 21:48:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> The problem is that I'm ripping the videos, transcoding them down and the
>> subtitles are "on" the video.  Like they're not separated so that there's no
>> way to toggle them.  I checked in mplayer and even it couldn't toggle the
>> subtitles.
>>
>> So the question becomes, how es one rip videos and subtitles so that you
>> can turn them on/off at will?
>

> I use MakeMKV the most lately for ripping DVDs. However, it doesn't do
> transcoding. I don't bother with that as I have plenty of disk space and
> with a large screen TV, any quality loss from DVD is noticeable.
>
> What format are you transcoding to? Container type? Perhaps your chosen
> container doesn't do separate subtitle streams, so the encoder adds the subs
> to the picture.

Umm..   I don't have access to the files right now but I'm just ripping the
dvd's with mythvideo's "import dvd" feature and on the quality setting I
select, "Good".

In my googling I found that MKV's are a great container that supports
subtitles, chapters and all that jazz.  Unfortunately, ripping a dvd with
subtitles in a compressed format is not as easy as "insert disc -> rip":

And I need to compress the video as I don't want to spend several gigs of
space on a dvd library.  Is there an easy way to rip dvd's to mkv's with
subtitles?  (easier then the link above?)

--Ajay