[mythtv-users] Mythweb Slow to Render Program Detail Page as Selected From Recorded Programs page

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 21:08:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com> wrote:
> At 11:21 AM 2/25/2010, Johnny Walker wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com> wrote:
>> I checked all the logs and there was nothing in them that suggested a
>> problem.
>>
>> -- Mache
>>
>> At 07:12 AM 2/25/2010, Mike Holden wrote:
>>
>>> Mache Creeger wrote:
>>>Sorry for the double posting but this was a new topic and I wanted
>>>to make sure folks could see it.
>>>
>>>Mythweb still takes around 5 minutes to render the Program Detail
>>>page for a specific recording selected from the Recorded Programs
>>>page. Is there anyway to speed things up? Looking at top during the
>>>rendering time shows that the CPU is 85% idle and mysqld and httpd
>>>are not running. Is it waiting for something to time out?
>>>
>>>I have around 600 recordings but the Recorded Programs page comes up
>>>right away. I run the database optimize script nightly.
>>
>> Have you checked your apache logs to see if anything weird is going on or
>> producing
>> errors?
>> --
>
> If nothing else you can turn on debug logging in mysql to see what
> queries are possibly slow moving.
>
> I think a better 1st step is to run 'tail -f
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log' while you request that page which is
> slow loading to see what step it appears to hang on during that load.
>
> What does the system's free memory look like while you're doing this?
>
> -Johnny
>
> I will turn on mysql debug logging to see if that shows anything. I have not
> tried that.
>
> I have looked that the stock mysql logs and they have not shown anything. I
> have looked at all the stock logs in /var/log and have not found anything
> obvious.
>
> The system is basically at 90% idle all the time. I have looked a the
> mythbackend.log and there is nothing there that would suggest a problem. The
> system has 1GB of memory and 4GB of swap and there is nothing in top to show
> that memory is a problem anywhere.
>
> -- Mache

Somehow I have my doubts that it's anything slow in mysql, as anything
in the detail page is selecting data for specific ids and generally
should be instantaneous.  I'd check the backend logs.  One possibility
is that maybe for some reason it's taking a long time to render a
thumbnail image.  I think (thought I'm not sure) that that detail page
may grab images from the video in resolutions that might not already
exist, causing the backend to create them.

Tom