[mythtv-users] usbip

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Feb 25 19:55:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> It doesn't work. I don't know the technical aspects of it, but I do
> know you can't watch a DVD off a physical disk over NFS.

Hmm, looks like we're both slightly wrong.

You can watch a DVD over NFS if it's not scrambled with CSS.  If it is
scrabled with CSS, then the DeCSS code needs access to the raw file
system (either the physical drive or an ISO image) in order to
descramble it.

I hadn't heard of anyone using usbip to do this sort of thing before,
but I know it has been done with network block device and that should
work.  I would guess that NBD has lower overhead than usbip since it
doesn't need to emulate the USB layer at all.  But, of course, NBD has
the same limitation that only one host at a time should be using the
device.

Eric