[mythtv-users] US Broadcasting bastards

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 25 17:37:40 UTC 2010

On 02/25/2010 11:50 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 08:44 -0800, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
>
>> When setting the recording, whether for one showing, weekly, all, or
>> whatever; just go to the "scheduling options" and you can choose to
>> change the start or end, early or late for either.
>>
> The question becomes what does the scheduler to in the face of this when
> two programs are to be recorded back-to-back on the same tuner and both
> are asking for 5 minute pre and post-rolls?
>
> If they are on the same channel, I have often mused that Myth could
> handle that by writing that 5 minutes of what will be post-roll on the
> first show and pre-roll on the second show (i.e. it's the same 5 minutes
> in time for both) to both files.

And MythTV will do exactly this for digital channels on the same
multiplex (including the same channel) on a digital capture card with
multirec enabled.  MythTV will only do the same for analog recorders if
someone who actually a) uses one, b) cares enough about the capability,
c) frequently has such overlaps, d) doesn't have enough analog capture
devices writes the support.

The cheapest, easiest, and most robust solution, however, is to just get
more capture devices.

> But if they are on different channels it of course becomes more
> difficult without a tuner for each program.

Though this problem is also solved by having sufficient capture
devices...  :)

> FWIW, I now have 4 tuners in my myth "network".  3 in the master BE and
> one that I put into another machine around here just to handle the rate
> situation when there are in fact 4 things all on at the same time that
> we want to record.  :-)

And it sounds like you're going that way, anyway.  But the suggestion
applies to everyone.

Mike