[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Feb 25 17:13:11 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Really, I think the only new feature your code adds (though I haven't
> had a chance to go through the code, yet--this just based on description
> I've heard here) is the ability to go from a "later" tuner (i.e. virtual
> tuner 2 on physical tuner 2) in use for Live TV back to an "earlier"
> tuner (i.e. virtual tuner 2 on physical tuner 1) when changing to a
> channel on an already-tuned-for-a-recording mux in LiveTV.  And this
> would further complicate things, as the show you want to watch in LiveTV
> may be a 1hr show ending in 45 minutes and the show that the scheduler
> has tuned for a recording may be a half-hour show ending in 15
> minutes--meaning that the scheduler may have already planned to change
> the channel/mux tuned by that physical tuner in 15 minutes.  That would
> mean that the user watching LiveTV would be interrupted in about 13
> minutes with a dialog saying that the tuner is needed for a recording
> and asking whether to cancel the recording, watch the same show as it
> records, or exit Live TV.

I think a lot of the conceptual difficulty that some of us have is this: all
preselected recordings represent *scheduled* events, whereas by it's nature,
LiveTV is an *unscheduled* event. I would even go so far as to say unschedule-able.

However, your point above, may be solved in a straightforward (note: does not
say simple) way, that is, whenever a channel change is made in LiveTV why not
force a reschedule? That would enable the scheduler to take notice of the fact
that resource availability has changed, and allocate resources required for
forthcoming recordings according to latest availability.

I note this would /not/ be optimal for your average channel-surfer, because
you'd trigger a reschedule every few seconds. Perhaps a timer which delays a
reschedule for perhaps 1 minute would suffice to ensure that the user was
actually watching the channel. i.e.

LiveTV channel change --> start 1 minute timer
Timer completes --> Force reschedule

--

Mike Perkins