[mythtv-users] Might seem like a dumb question but have to ask

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Thu Feb 25 17:12:43 UTC 2010

Hi Brent,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:48:35AM -0600, Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

> Playing with High Quality looks very good.  CPU usage is more then
> when using vdpau, but would like to use vdpau since the motherboard
> supports it.

Oh, I understand now what you wrote. High Quality looks very good but
it is not using VDPAU and therefore is causing your CPU to work harder.
You've tried with custom profiles but the results have been jerky,
pixalated and slow motion video. Got it.

> I have not tried to play the OTA file with another player.
>
> The file command for this file only shows "data"

I was just curious. I ran the "file" command on some of my OTA
recordings (obtained via HDHomeRun and HVR-1600) and I also see "data"
as the file type.

Sorry, I don't know much about VDPAU since I don't have a video card
capable of that, but it would seem like VDPAU is not being used to play
your OTA HD recordings. The only two things I can think of is to run the
frontend with "-v important,general,playback" and take a look at the
resulting log to try to determine what is happening, and to try to play
the file with mplayer to see if it has any problems playing using VDPAU.

Hopefully others with VDPAU experience will chime in as well.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-