[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:07:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 2/23/2010 20:36, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Nick Rout<nick.rout at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> That would be a shame, but that's another thread.
>>>

>> I agree 100%...that would be an absolutely awful change in my opinion.
>>

> It's all based around a push to simplify MythTV and reduce the opportunity
> for things to break.  With the internal player and storage groups,
> mythbackend manages all access to content to any frontends that want it, and
> any bugs that arise will be internal problems that can be diagnosed and
> dealt with.  With external players, you have to set up the external player,
> you have to set up NFS on all machines, you have to figure out whether
> issues are in mythtv or some other 3rd party software, and you may have to
> explain to frustrated users they need to seek help elsewhere.  Everything
> just becomes considerably easier to maintain as external dependencies are
> reduced.

I think the resistance to pull out external player support is somewhat
flawed.  I agree that users should use the internal player whenever
possible.  I think a better solution would simply be to put the external
player option as a single option to define.  Make it off by default and
enabled via a checkbox.  When the users checks the box, MythTV pops up a
dialog that simply reminds them that if they're using the external player as
a workaround, they should report bugs and direct them to a wiki page about
how to do that.  It doesn't complicate the code much at all to launch an
external player, provides the users with a workaround that they may very
much need, and directs users to the proper location to report problems if
they are truly experiencing them.

Kevin