[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging in 0.22 - no success.

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:22:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Manuel McLure <manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
> I've noticed that since I upgraded to 0.22, commercial flagging is not
> producing usable results. On 0.21 commercial flagging was quite good -
> I'd see maybe one bad flag per three or four 1 hour shows. Now I'm
> lucky to see one good flag per 3 or 4 shows. The flags often seem to
> be in the very middle of show segments or ads - in fact they seem
> almost random. If I watch a show that I recorded before the upgrade,
> flags are correct, so it does not seem to be a playback issue.
>
> I'm running 0.22-fixes SVN revision 23069 on 64-bit Gentoo. On both
> 0.21 and 0.22 I use the "All Methods" commercial flagging, and
> changing the "Strict Commercial Detection" setting does not seem to
> change the behavior. Recordings are h.264 over IPTV. Normal seeking
> within the show seems to work fine, so the seektable seems correct.
>
> What commercial flagging settings in 0.22 correspond to the settings
> in 0.21? I'm very close to simply turning off commflagging completely
> - no use wasting CPU cycles on it if it doesn't produce usable
> results.
>
> Any tips on getting this to work properly would be greatly appreciated!
> --
> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft

I've been running the same version under Gentoo only 32 bit x86 for
about a week and a half now.  I've always used all methods with strict
commflagging enabled.  I didn't change anything under 0.22 and it
appears to be working just as reliably as ever.  In my case this is
with U.S. OTA broadcast shows.

Tom