[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 23 23:42:52 UTC 2010

On 02/23/2010 05:47 PM, Andrew Herron wrote:
> I totally agree with your perspective on this issue. Below i describe
> a fix for this that we have in development;
>
> We are working on a patch to MythTV 0.21 that does exactly what you
> are describing for LiveTV & for scheduler recordings too - ie MythTV
> automagically manages multirec tuners so that it always makes sure
> that if a multirec tuner is already tuned to a channel from a given
> MUX that subsequent requests from either LiveTV viewing or the
> scheduler for other channels on that MUX are allocated to a Multirec
> tuner derived from that same physical tuner...if no physical tuner is
> delivering channels from the MUX required then a new Multirec tuner
> will be allocated on an unused physical tuner.

MythTV already does this.  That's the crux of the problem that Ian is
describing.

> This means that there is never a situation where you can have two
> physical tuners tuned to the same MUX.

That would be new--i.e. causing MythTV to "jump tuners" from whatever
("later") tuner it's using to (an "earlier") one that's already tuned to
a mux when the LiveTV user requests a channel change.

It would also have effects on future recordings and the schedule (as if
LiveTV locks that tuner to the mux that /was/ in use and the scheduler
had planned to change to a different mux for the next recording...).

> All of this is automatically handled for the user and no manual tuner
> selection is required.

Which is "Browse all channels" (which was added to MythTV for version
0.22 and is disabled by default).

> Alongside the above we have removed the limitation of only 5 multirec
> tuners per physical tuner.

You do realize that limitation was put there because there are
significant scalability problems with multirec that become progressively
worse as the number of virtual tuners increases past 5.

> We have the LiveTV part of the above working well now and are just
> starting working on integrating and testing the recordings scheduler
> so that it uses the same logic now. As soon as we have the scheduler
> working we will release a patch for MythTV 0.21 and then we hope to
> test and then commit a 0.22 version subsequently.

So, other than the one new feature I mentioned, it sounds like you guys
have just implemented, "Browse all channels," in MythTV 0.21.

If, in fact, your implementation is better than the one we have now, the
patch is appreciated, but please ensure you do proper research before
submitting the patch and describe exactly what's different from what we
currently have (other than 0.21-fixes support :).

Mike