[mythtv-users] something's missing

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Feb 23 22:42:39 UTC 2010

On 02/22/2010 11:27 PM, sharifah ummu kulthum wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com
> <mailto:nick.rout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:53 PM, sharifah ummu kulthum
>     <kulthum91 at gmail.com <mailto:kulthum91 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com
>     <mailto:nick.rout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >>
>      >> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM, sharifah ummu kulthum
>      >> <kulthum91 at gmail.com <mailto:kulthum91 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >> >>
>      >> >
>      >> > I am trying for the analogue signals.
>      >> >
>      >>
>      >> and what happens when you scan for channels?

>      > I tried scanning for the channels using other tools i.e mplayer.
>     but the
>      > mplayer screen is just black and the terminal does not stop
>     scanning though
>      > it seems like they found nothing.
>
>     I will repeat my question more clearly.
>
>     What happens when you scan for channels IN MYTHTV.
>
>     This is the MYTHTV list.

> Ok. Sorry
>
> I haven't tried scanning the channels with MythTV yet. It's because the
> script that I got for the Malaysia listing grabbers produces the error
> that I posted earlier.

Let's back up a little then.
Have you tried scanning using any of the dvb-apps?

Using a listings grabber before you have a list of usable channels is
working backwards.

Unless you can be sure that the card is working properly, trying to get
it working in mythtv will be a difficult if not impossible process.

If you have not already done so, go to
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTV_dvb-apps
and download the dvb-apps, make them and then use (in your case, I
think) szap with a default frequency table, to scan for channels. (Or
maybe azap, I'm not sure what you are actually trying to receive.)

The output will show you what channels are detected and you should be
able to match that with your local environment re missing/extra channels.
Then you can test a channel, by tuning to it and capturing output from
/dev/video (or /dev/dvb/frontend...whatever) using cat to a file.
And you then can play that file using mplayer.
(Instructions on the page given above).

THEN, and ONLY THEN can you be assured that scanning in mythtv will
actually work.

Geoff