[mythtv-users] How to output to Standard TV

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 09:45:01 UTC 2010

In article <4B7D9FC3.1090307 at alabastercranium.demon.co.uk>, Gavin
Whitehead wrote:
> My concern is how to connect the HTPC to my Standard TV (Panasonic
> TX-28PL10).

Welcome to a world of pain!

Connecting composite is easy but quality is bad, s-video is better
quality but harder work, RGB is the best quality but there are no off-
the-shelf solutions. Additional complexities are overscan and tearing
due to bad sync.

As it happens, HDMI isn't plain sailing either. My TV wouldn't do 1:1
pixels via HDMI.

VGA is easiest of the lot, but my ION chipset wouldn't pass through
EDID to X (though the nvidia utility can manage it!) so I had to hard-
wire the 1360x768 resolution.

The world desperately needs a plug-and-play way to connect media
devices to TVs.

Ian