[mythtv-users] KDL52XBR9 display problems

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 03:37:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:

>>> My screen (a sumsung) was fine with a VGA cable, but when I switched to
>>> HDMI, the image was 'bigger' than the screen too.
>>>
>>> There was a setting on the TV that displays HDMI input as actual size,
>>> instead of making the image too big to fit (which it apparently a
>>> feature ???)  It might be worth checking if this is your problem if you
>>> are using HDMI.
>>>

>>> Rodd
>>
>> It's called Overscanning, and it was a feature back when analogue TV
>> was prevalent, because the edges of the picture were often distorted.
>> Overscanning allowed these flaws to be hidden.
>>
>> Now it's largely pointless and quite annoying.
>
> Overscanning can be done away with on Sony TV's, possibly this one too:
>
> On the Bravia I selected HOME > Settings > Setup > Screen Settings >
> Display Area
>
> It was set to NORMAL
> I changed it to FULL PIXEL
>
> So go back to your original setup and try that,  you can then stop
> futzing around with xorg.conf (hopefully).

your model appears to have the same, from the manual
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40XBR9.pdf

"The 1080p timing when applied to the HDMI input will be treated as a
video timing and not PC timing. This affects Picture settings and Wide
Mode settings. To view PC content set Scene Select to Graphics, Wide
Mode to Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel."