[mythtv-users] How to output to Standard TV

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Feb 19 13:21:45 UTC 2010

David Watkins wrote:
>> I don't know if video cards with SCART connectors are available, certainly
>> they are not here in the USA, Europeans could probably tell you better on that
>> score.
>

> I've never been totally clear what TV manufacturers mean when they
> refer to having a SCART connector?
>
> My Panasonic TV has two SCART connectors.  One contains RGB and
> S-Video inputs, the other Composite and S-Video.
>
> Anyway, I'm using the S-Video output from an NVidia graphics card,
> using a standard lead which has a SCART connector on one end and
> S-Video and phono plugs on the other.  You can also buy SCART to RGB
> cables easily enough, if your graphics card has RGB outputs.

Scart can give really good quality SD. You can drive it from VGA using
a fairly simple circuit: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/RGB_Scart.
I experimented a lot when first using MythTV. I was disappointed that
my first efforts didn't give as good picture quality as my two
previous commercial DVRs... until I tried VGA=>SCART, which gave -
as far as I could see - exactly the same picture quality as the
DVRs. For me, SCART was better than composite, possibly because
by using the VGA output from the graphics card, I was avoiding
the TV out processing.

Paul.