[mythtv-users] How to output to Standard TV

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:03:56 UTC 2010

> 2) Several of the replies mention poor quality picture when using s-video.
>  Is this only when using the TV as a monitor?  Or is it also when using the
> TV as, well, a TV?

Problems with using the TV as a monitor really come to the low
resolution of the S-Video signal and don't affect TV playback.

In my experience the S-Video TV image is pretty good (into a 28"
widescreen CRT).  The mythmenus look excellent (very sharp) and the TV
picture is mostly excellent, but with a couple of issues.

Scrolling (eg TV credits) is not smooth.

On some sports (Football and Tennis, but not Motor Racing) the picture
is noticeably worse (fuzzy) than that from both my Analog tuner and
DVB Set-top box, which is using an RGB output. My Myth box and DVB
Set-top must be playing the same digital stream but I'm not sure if
the difference in performance is down to poor performance of my
graphics card or the difference between RGB and S-Video.

On all other programme types the mythtv picture over S-Video is pretty
much indistinguishable from my analog reception.  And I get very good
analog reception with a roof aerial and line-of-site to the Crystal
Palace transmitter.

I'm not sure what S-Video into a digital TV would like like.