[mythtv-users] Another "moving backend / restoring database" thread

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Fri Feb 19 00:36:24 UTC 2010

Hello folks,

I'm in the process of changing my backend from a physical server running Gentoo to a virtual server running Mythbuntu. Both are running current 0.22-fixes. The Mythbuntu box is a new install of 9.10. The Gentoo box has been running since about 0.13; when I upgraded it from 0.21 to 0.22 I followed the instructions about corrupted databases (given that my Gentoo install us UTF8) but it seems from the output below that I still have a UTF8 database.

The Gentoo box has a PCI DVB-T card, while I've bought an HD Homerun for use on the virtual. I have configured the virtual with the new tuners, a source, and the shepherd grabber to test that it all works. It does.

What I would like to do, given that the new box is essentially up and running with a clean database and already configured with  tuners and listings, is simply 'move' my recordings from the old box to the new. However, the documentation advises that a full restore (with a name change) should be my preferred path.

Here's my plan of action:-

1) Stop both mythbackends
2) Backup both databases (old and new.)
3) Unmount my recordings partition on my old backend (/var/media)
4) Drop the database on the new backend: mysql -uroot -p -e 'DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;'
5) Create a new database on the new backend: mysql -uroot -p < database/mc.sql
6) Reset the MySQL mythtv user's password to that configured by Mythbuntu in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
7) Restore the old database to the new box:- mythconverg_restore.pl
8) Change the hostname in the new database:- mythconverg_restore.pl --change_hostname --old_hostname="XXXX" --new_hostname="YYYY"
9) Mount my recordings partition on my new backend (/var/lib/mythtv)
10) Run mythtv-setup on the new backend to reset (e.g. recordings) locations, delete and recreate tuners, delete and rescan channels
11) Start mythbackend on new box
12) Re-run my grabber (shepherd) and reconfigure it.

Does this plan sound correct? Am I likely to carry over any character set problems? Anything I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

MYSQL Status on old (Gentoo) box:-
----------------------------------
jon at server ~ $ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
Enter password:
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.84, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.0

Connection id:          1466
Current database:       mythconverg
Current user:           mythtv at localhost
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Using delimiter:        ;
Server version:         5.0.84-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.84-r1
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset:    utf8
Db     characterset:    utf8
Client characterset:    utf8
Conn.  characterset:    utf8
UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Uptime:                 9 days 21 hours 4 min 17 sec

Threads: 6  Questions: 11840803  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 8498  Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 64  Queries per second avg: 13.874
--------------

MYSQL Status on new (Mythbuntu) box:-
----------------------------------
jon at media:/etc/mythtv$ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
Enter password:
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.37, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using  EditLine wrapper

Connection id:          675
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Using delimiter:        ;
Server version:         5.1.37-1ubuntu5.1 (Ubuntu)
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Client characterset:    latin1
Server characterset:    latin1
UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Uptime:                 2 days 12 hours 30 min 51 sec

Threads: 5  Questions: 1460113  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 1638  Flush tables: 1  O
pen tables: 41  Queries per second avg: 6.702