[mythtv-users] mythfrontend/mythwelcome locking up after prolonged use

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:52:57 UTC 2010

On 18 February 2010 18:37, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:

> Ian Clark wrote:
> [snip me]
>
> Yes I've seen this also it's caused by MythWelcome  slowly leaking
> memory which causes the slow down and eventually it's killed due to lack
> of memory. It only seems to happen if mythfrontend  has been started and
> mythwelcome is waiting for it to exit.
>
> Ahhh, coool. cheers. I've not seen it be quit (as that would take X with
it) but slowdown sounds very possible.

> It's something that has changed very recently. I suspect it's something
> to do with the new timer stuff leaking resources when the main thread is
> stopped waiting for the  FE to exit but that's just a guess. The other
> thing that changed recently is the adding of the two MythUIClock widgets
> which could also be leaking memory. The easy way to eliminate them would
> be to just comment them out of the mythwelcome theme file.
>
> I'm assuming this is in 'welcome-ui.xml' in share/mythtv/themes/default?
I've commented out the :

        <clock name="date">
        </clock>

        <clock name="time" from="date">
        </clock>

sections? I assume these are the correct ones? I'll report back.

> If you could run mythwelcome under valgrind that would be very useful to
> see where the leak is otherwise you will just have to be patient and
> wait for me to find time to track down the problem.
>
> Assuming I don't forget between now and bed I'll leave it running in
valgrind overnight. :)

Dunno if it's any help, but I've seen the same issue with mythfrontend (when
quitting XBMC launched from it). I don't see it in mythfrontend if it
remains the foreground process though.

Cheers for the help.

> Paul H.

Ian