[mythtv-users] GT 220 Cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 18 20:32:19 UTC 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010 11:32:48 am Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/18/2010 13:18, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I've seen statements like "my machine runs much faster since I installed
> > the 800 watt PSU", as well as "reports" of more fans producing better
> > performance.
>
> There is some truth to that.  A nicer or more powerful supply is going
> to be more stable at your required power levels, and allow for a higher
> overclock.  The old P4 prescotts used to run so hot that with their
> stock heatsinks, they would go into thermal slowdown.  Of course, I
> agree completely that reviewers on Newegg have any idea what they're
> talking about.

Yes there is some potential truth in some of those wacky reviews, but I was
referring to those that seem to think that more watts in the PSU equals more
frames per second,. My nephew had about 8 fans in his case, ignoring the fact
that most of them were working against each other, but he loved the noise, and
it seemed to impress his gamer friends.

Just remember that *anybody* can submit a review to those sites, and you have
to consider the source. Certainly I would not base a purchase decision solely
on user "reviews".

I've often wondered how many of those "reviewers" actually work for the
vendor.