[mythtv-users] Audio/Video Sync

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:44:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:

> ----- "John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have been having this long standing issue with a number of
>> recorded and/or ripped videos, specifically that of being out of audio
>> sync.  Using a basic research tool, ie GOOGLE, I noted
>> > that there are a number of reported audio/video sync problems
>> floating around.
>> >
>> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/419411
>> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/421296
>> >
>> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-December/275546.html
>> >
>> http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/general/12390-livetv-audio-sync.html
>> > http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=69987
>> >

>> > However, I didn't note a clear see any clear solutions to the
>> problem.  Is there a HOWTO
>> > or WIKI that would give us a chance at troubleshooting it?  Is it
>> something that should
>> > be reported on trac (I do use SVN)?
>> >
>> > Any guidance would be appreciated.
>> >

>> Are you using projectx to cut your videos? If not enable that because
>> it will fix a lot of these problems.
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> Isn't projectx for DVB streams?  Since I am in the US -- don't think it
> will help me out, but let me know if I am not understanding something.

I am in the US also. Its not just for DVB streams. It replaces
mythtranscode in mythtv cutting out commercials when you use
mytharchive. A few years ago I wrote a script to replace mythtrasncode
to precut the recordings and make mythtv use my cut recordings. Back
then I found that mythtranscode can cause an AV sync problems if you
do not cut on keyframes. For most of the last 2 years I have moved to
using the projectx option in mytharchive and not precutting my videos
in myth. I see that you said recordings and ripped videos in mythtv so
you are not talking about

That script is here:

http://github.com/drescherjm/jmdgentoooverlay/blob/master/Other/shell-scripts/mythtv/pxcut.sh

Its a little rough and needs to be worked to fit any other machine
since it assumes the db is on jmd1..

USAGE pxcut.sh <filename.mpg> [-d] [-h]

John