[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 18 03:08:08 UTC 2010

On 02/17/2010 10:16 AM, Terjesen Jens Peder wrote:
> Ian Oliver wrote:
>> I have four DVB-T tuners each configured with four virtual tuners.
>>
>> With just one tuner recording, it seems that Live TV is restricted to
>> only getting channels one the same mux as that tuner. Why doesn't it
>> automatically use a different tuner, either one that's already tuned to
>> the appropriate mux or one that's totally free? Have I configured
>> something incorrectly or am I failing to understand how this is
>> supposed to work.
>>
>> We're currently transitioning from a Humax PVR9200. This has two
>> tuners, and handles them fairly sensibly. If it's recording two things
>> on the same mux, it will record both using one tuner. Live TV then has
>> no restrictions. If it's recording two things on different muxes, then
>> Live TV can only get channels on either of those two muxes. Critically,
>> my wife and daughter don't have to understand the difference between a
>> channel and a mux (trust me, I tried), they just need to know that
>> there are times restrictions, and the PVR handles this.
>>
>> With mythtv, I hoped/assumed that having four (eventually six!) tuners
>> would pretty much remove all restrictions. The backend would handle
>> recordings and the four front ends could get any channel with mythtv
>> handling the selection of tuner.
>
> There is as setting called "Avoid conflicts between live-TV and recordings" or something like that.
>
> I think you find it under "General Settings" but I can't remenber if it is a backend or frontend setting.

Also, if you're using multirec, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/369358#369358 (read the
whole thing, and note that the last solution specified--the one that was
untried at the time--is the best, but if you don't read the whole
message, you won't have all the info you need to make it work).

Also, note that what MythTV is doing is by design.  There are valid
reasons for it to behave the way it does rather than using a separate tuner.

Mike