[mythtv-users] Putting the OS and database on a separate spindle on mythbuntu

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 20:49:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it me or are mythbuntu making it harder to do the above on a default install?
>
> Common advice seems to be to put the operating system and mysql
> database on a separate disk to your recordings. Makes sense on a busy
> system with lots of recordings going on and/or being watched.
>
> Trouble is the database by default is in /var/lib/mysql/ and
> recordings (again by default) is in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/ . The
> installer makes /var/lib/ on a separate partition.
>
> This seems to make it pretty hard to follow the common recommendation.
> I guess you end up with:
>
> disk 1: / and /var/lib/mysql/
>
> disk2: /var/lib/
>
> or else change the default recordings location.

I added a second drive and mounted it at /usr/local/storage - created
mythtv folder and then copied the recording there from
/var/lib/mythtv/blah and then symlinked back to folders at
/usr/local/storage/mythtv/blah

Didn't even take 30 mins but you may have more recordings to move than I did.

I didn't mess with database.

-Johnny