[mythtv-users] Avenard, mythbuntu, nVidia 195 drivers, HDMI audio - lost day

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 07:02:37 UTC 2010

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 16 February 2010 01:01,  <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>
>> Again, is there an official process to integrate Avenard for nvidia
>> drivers?
>
> Wonder why I bother writing some docs...
> http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/11/9_Karmic_and_Using_Avenard_repo.html

I'm going through the docs to try to recreate what some users are
seeing, and with a Mythbuntu system which is kept fairly up-to-date,
executing the commands on the page is giving this:

root at rkulagow-zotac:~# sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185
nvidia-185-libvdpau nvidia-185-kernel-source
                           Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
nvidia-glx-185 is already the newest version.
nvidia-glx-185 set to manually installed.
nvidia-185-libvdpau is already the newest version.
nvidia-185-libvdpau set to manually installed.
nvidia-185-kernel-source is already the newest version.
nvidia-185-kernel-source set to manually installed.
required:
   mythtv-database binutils-static
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.

And the "already the newest version" issue is something that at least
one other user has already brought up.  Properties shows that the
nvidia-185 files are 185.18.36-0ubuntu9 and they're being provided by
Ubuntu.

Assuming that I follow with the apt-get install libvdpau1 step that you
have next, isn't that the cause of some of the issues?  That Ubuntu has
released updates that supersede the packaged nvidia-185 that you
provided, but which will still cause the libvdpau1 conflict that
prevents users from jumping from 185 to 190 or 195?