[mythtv-users] upgrade Fedora 9 to 12?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Feb 16 23:54:41 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 16 February 2010, "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> F12 wants about 300Meg for /boot. I used 50 iirc on F6 through F8 and 75
> Meg for F10. On this desktop (F12) I dropped /boot. It was easier all
> round.

/boot as a separate partition is a bit of legacy, from when there was
spotty BIOS support for drives that could boot outside 1024 sectors, or
somesuch. I've been reading around since I started this thread, and
currently I'm contemplating moving /boot to / and then the partition size
is a non-issue.

However, after other reading, about F9->10->11->12 and things in each
version's release notes, it looks like a lot more trouble than it's worth.
As long as I can capture all the fiddly bits I've done to the machine
since I first built it (3.5 years ago), a straight F12 reinstall looks
less painful and less downtime and would give me a fresh start and let me
do things like switch to the built-in nVidia driver rather than the kernel
module.