[mythtv-users] DVB-T2?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Feb 15 17:15:44 UTC 2010

On 15 Feb 2010, at 16:31, Another Sillyname wrote:

> The other reason would be that it's possible that a single tuner
> couldn't handle the bandwidth required for 4 HD channels (BBC, ITV,
> CH4 and Five).

40Mb/s at current BBC settings for a DVBT2 complete mux, even with USB2 overheads that should be easy, dual tuner 80Mb/s+overheads. I think dual tuner usb DVBS tuners exist and that's 36Mb/s x2 + overhead. Haven't seen any DVBS2 USB tuners anywhere, not that I've been looking.

I expect the real reason will be to get a product to market in a reasonable time at a saleable price, those T2 chips will be expensive for a while, I don't want to pay for two of them.

I wonder if the PVR manufacturers will make dual tuner units that have one T2 tuner and one regular one, it would be years before any customers ever realised it wasn't dual T2 :-)

> I'd still prefer a dual tuner just to spread the load.

What load? There will only be one DVBT2 mux in the UK for some time to come, no-one has announced any plans for a second one. You could waste the second tuner on tuning a DVBT mux but I'm sure Hauppauge know that would be pointless when there are plenty of cheap DVBT tuners around.

I'd just be happy to have a DVBT2 tuner (hopefully with Linux driver) at all, I've already got a couple of DVBT ones. I'm sure that by the time my local TX is upgraded to DVBT2 (June 2012) there will be at least one tuner and linux drivers existing and hopefully the EPG will have been reverse engineered too.

Might make some sense for Hauppauge to make a dual tuner for the Swedish Market, I understand their DVBT2 will be a little more extensive than ours, although ours is running (So I'm told, haven't seen it myself :-) and theirs isn't yet.

MythTV with a (singular) DVBT2 tuner and dual DVBT tuner using multirec should mop up just about everything I'd ever want to record or watch from UK Freeview.

Andre