[mythtv-users] Avenard, mythbuntu, nVidia 195 drivers, HDMI audio - lost day

mythtv at derdev.com mythtv at derdev.com
Mon Feb 15 12:50:09 UTC 2010

I have a new Zotac ION B-E  for a frontend and I need to get myth 0.22
running on it with HDMI video+audio to my Sharp LCD.

I lost most of yesterday to trying to fiddle with the Avenard repository
(thanks for the repo!!)
over mythbuntu 9.10 (karmic).  Two issues made me nuts.

1) I cannot seem to get a stable commitment to the nvidia 195 drivers
(Avenard) over the nvidia 185 drivers (mythbuntu)

2) I cannot seem to get HDMI audio to actually work.

Regarding 1) (drivers) is there a previous post someone knows about that
cleanly removes 185 and include 195?  I thought I had it, but the
Proprietary Drivers manager only ever saw the 185 drivers.  I didn't want
to mess around with compiling or manually moving files since I don't
really
understand the underlying driver files.

Regarding 2) (HDMI audio)...  I actually got the impression after a lot of
googling that there was recently an opinion that HDMI audio (over same
cable as the HDMI video) is broken in ubuntu 9.10 - irrespective of
whether
I can get to the nvidia 195 drivers.  Can someone assure me I'm not
wasting
my time?   I would switch distro for this particular install if that's
needed because this is my only install in the home that will require HDMI
audio - all the rest will/do use S/PDIF which I am able to get working.

Also re: 2) I was able to create a slave reference in ~.asoundrc and
"aplay -L" did show the HDMI module on card 0, device 3.  However,
speaker-test never worked, VLC using alsa never worked.  Absolute silence.
(Yes, I un-muted the several channels in alsamixer) :-)

TIA.  D.