[mythtv-users] Master backend thinks manually awoken slave is still sleeping

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun Feb 14 05:39:04 UTC 2010

* On Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 12:06:44PM +1100, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> A new issue: having configured my slave backend to power down when not
> needed, I find it is difficult to use this backend for LiveTV.

LiveTV ugggghhh....

> I understand that by design, the master will not wake a backend to use
> a tuner for liveTV. However, if I choose to power the backend on
> myself, in order to make the tuner available, the master still
> considers the tuners as "asleep" and will not use them.

I'm not sure how/why this is happening.  When a slave connects, the master
will set it's "sleep status" to either 'undefined' or 'awake'.  Undefined
is used if the slave does not have a SleepCommand configured, Awake is
used if the slave does have a SleepCommand.

So, your slave backend's sleep status should be changed to either Awake or
Undefined when it connects to the master whether it is started manually or
automatically by the master.

Are you assuming that the slave is still asleep because you can't use
it's tuner for LiveTV or are you looking at the master backend's status
webpage or the frontend's status screen?

> If I schedule a recording, so the master sends the wake signal and
> considers the slave to be awake, LiveTV on the other tuner works as
> normal.

If you are tracking trunk, I did fix one bug I noticed when looking into
this, but don't think it was related, but if you want to svn update and give
the current version a try, you can.  If you're on 0.22 and compile yourself,
you can try a 1-line change to programs/mythbackend/mainserver.cpp if you want.

If you're on 0.22-fixes, in mainserver.cpp, look for a line like this:

    if (!elink->IsWaking())

Change that to look like this:

    if (! (elink->IsWaking() || elink->IsAsleep()))

That will make it match trunk.  I don't think that will have much to do with
what you're reporting, but it's worth testing.

--
Chris