[mythtv-users] DirecTV / Hauppauge HD PVR questions

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Feb 12 19:43:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:22:06AM -0700, Pete Ashdown wrote:
> I'm getting sick of waiting for DTV & Tivo to get their act together
> with the new DirecTivo.  I'm sure when it comes out it will be
> locked up tighter than an engine block soaking in salt water.  I
> stumbled across the Hauppauge HD PVR today and it seems like a good
> option to get HD DirecTV into Myth.  I have a couple of questions.

   Any of their recent receivers should work with USB control with the
H23 profile in the directv.pl script that's floating around. Although
these boxes are picky about "boot order" and you may need to occasionally
need to restart them. I like the USB control but overall, the IR blasters
seemed to be more reliable.

> What is the recommended receiver?  Based on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
> , I am guessing the D12-300 would be best.

    Any of the H models should be fine. The D models kind of obsolete
at this point.

> I saw some mention that there is no way to shut off the channel
> banner when changing channels on the DTV receivers via IR.  Is this
> true of serial control as well?  Does MythTV have any facility to
> change the channel X seconds before recording with the HD PVR?
>
> What happened to the hubbub behind the MPAA asking to shut off
> component outputs for newly released movies?  Has DTV complied with

    I can't say that I've noticed one way or the other. I usually go
the netflix route for newer movies and the Movie Trading Company route
for older ones.