[mythtv-users] DirecTV / Hauppauge HD PVR questions

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 19:11:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Pete Ashdown <pashdown at xmission.com> wrote:
> I'm getting sick of waiting for DTV & Tivo to get their act together with
> the new DirecTivo.  I'm sure when it comes out it will be locked up tighter
> than an engine block soaking in salt water.  I stumbled across the Hauppauge
> HD PVR today and it seems like a good option to get HD DirecTV into Myth.  I
> have a couple of questions.
>
> What is the recommended receiver?  Based on
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
> , I am guessing the D12-300 would be best.

I have an H20-100 and a H20-200, both of which work very well with the HD-PVR.

> I saw some mention that there is no way to shut off the channel banner when
> changing channels on the DTV receivers via IR.  Is this true of serial
> control as well?  Does MythTV have any facility to change the channel X
> seconds before recording with the HD PVR?

Channel changing via USB<->NULL modem cable<->USB works very well.
The channel changing script can turn on the STB, change the channel,
and clear the banner.

Myth will call the external channel change script just before it tells
the HD-PVR to start recording.

If you have the STB set to "native" resolution, then it can take the
Directv STB a few seconds to lock onto a new channel, when the
resolution changes.  Because of this, it is a good idea to add a
"sleep 2" to the bottom of your channel change script, to give the STB
time to settle before the HD-PVR tries to start recording.  If the
HD-PVR tries to start recording when the STB is still in "flux", the
start of the recording can be corrupt.

> What happened to the hubbub behind the MPAA asking to shut off component
> outputs for newly released movies?  Has DTV complied with any of these
> requests?  Have they downrez'd anything on component yet?

At this point in time, the component outputs of the Directv STBs are
fully functional up to 1080i.   You cannot get 1080p out of them,
which is okay because the HD-PVR can only go up to 1080i itself.  The
only content on directv that is available in 1080p is some of their
pay-per-view stuff.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.