[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital transition Denver

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 12 16:53:40 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 February 2010 09:42:56 am Joel Donahue wrote:
> > No, they decode the QAM and re-modulate it to NTSC, at least that's how
> > the boxes in Laramie work. NTSC modulators are still cheap.
>
> Do the boxes re-modulate only one channel at a time? Or is it a block of
> channels, meaning I won't have to worry about IR blasting for channel
> changing.

The RF-only boxes I saw in Laramie were a single RF channel out, the usual
channel 2 or 3 selection. They are not block conversion devices. You would
need to change channels on the STB somehow.

The boxes have composite, S-Video and component output connectors, but they
are not operational. I was told that to get a box with those outputs working I
would have to pay.

I don't live in Laramie, but my niece just moved there and I am setting up her
TV system. Bresnan also operates the cable system here in Cheyenne, but the
only hardware I have from them is a cable modem. I use only the NTSC and the
clear QAM channels, since I can get pretty much anything else from my DISH
receiver, which feeds an HD-PVR.