[mythtv-users] Video insertion to match schedule database

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 03:12:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Pete Ashdown <pashdown at xmission.com> wrote:
> nick.rout at gmail.com writes
>
>>> Forgive me if this has been answered before.  After much searching, I
>>> haven't been able to find an exact answer.
>>>
>>> I want to pull MPEG files from another device and insert them into the
>>> MythTV database & storage with channel and recorded time, so it will
>>> properly correspond to the downloaded SchedulesDirect schedule, as if the
>>> inserted video had been recorded by mythtv-backend itself.  I'd also like to
>>> have them commskipped.  Is this possible and if so, how?
>>
>> I have seen scripts to do similar things, but matching to the schedule
>> will be difficult if it is somewhat after the event, although popular
>> sites like thetvdb.com have 'original air date' in their database.
>
> It isn't a matter of identifying the original air date, or season/episode
> information.  I have all that.  What I'm wondering is if I can "fake" a
> scheduled recording and import a video into the schedule.  I can do this as
> needed, so there isn't a lag time.
>
> I don't know what the etiquette for this type of discussion is on this list,
> but I'm extracting off a Tivo and wanting to insert into MythTV.  I am able to
> determine all the necessary details about the recording extracted from the
> Tivo.  I just don't know how to transparently insert it into MythTV.

Ahh OK well I am always reluctant to suggest manual changes to the
database[1], but you might want to look at the scripts for something
like mythnettv http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNettv which downloads
rss video feeds and inserts them into recordings. The logic to add
into recordings will be there (which I believe involves an insert into
the RECORDED table), but what I am not sure of is whether it will have
the logic to do whatever needs doing to tell the scheduler that it
shouldn't record that episode again, which i think is the function of
the OLDRECORDED table.

The tables are at least partly documented in the wiki, eg

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Oldrecorded_table

When I say 'partly' (a) the info may be out of date and (b) some
tables are not documented and (c) knowing the names of the fields
doesn't always tell you what they are used for, or how the tables
interact with the scheduler and other backend bits and bobs.

[1] cos Mike Dean will tell me off :)