[mythtv-users] firewire tester does not work (although myth can capture via firewire)

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 19:48:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a bit of a strange question.  Myth is able to capture via
>> firewire.  I was having some issues that were related to the new juju
>> stack, but replaced my STB (to a Pace box) and hopefully, everything
>> will work.  However, while trying to troubleshoot things, I get the
>> following error when using firewire_tester (it is important for me to
>> have firewire_tester operational because I have a script in cron that
>> stabilizes my firewire connection with the use of firewire tester
>> every 30 minutes assuming myth is not trying to capture at the time):
>>
>> [mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -b -n 1
>> Failed to create new raw1394 handle on port 0
>>
>> Having a hard time understanding what the issue is.  Do I need to
>> remove old firewire packages that were installed on my system before I
>> upgraded to Fedora 12 (with the built in juju stack)?  I have the
>> following packages installed:
>>
>> libraw1394_8-1.3.0-8_11.fc10.i386
>
> Remove the above, it has no business being on your system. If I had to
> guess, your firewire_tester is built for the old stack using that
> library instead of the current one that works with both stacks.

I spent some time cleaning up all the firewire cruft on my system and
reinstalling everything to make sure I had everything current.  I then
recompiled firewire_tester and now everything seems to be working.  I
wonder if the fact that firewire_tester was broken (and therefore,
preventing me from being able to prime my firewire connection
regularly) had to do with my last problems.  Either way, everything
seems to be fixed.  I also moved from a broadcast connection, which I
using with my DCT-6200, to a P2P connection for my new Pace box.