[mythtv-users] firewire tester does not work (although myth can capture via firewire)

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 01:00:55 UTC 2010

This is a bit of a strange question.  Myth is able to capture via
firewire.  I was having some issues that were related to the new juju
stack, but replaced my STB (to a Pace box) and hopefully, everything
will work.  However, while trying to troubleshoot things, I get the
following error when using firewire_tester (it is important for me to
have firewire_tester operational because I have a script in cron that
stabilizes my firewire connection with the use of firewire tester
every 30 minutes assuming myth is not trying to capture at the time):

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -b -n 1
Failed to create new raw1394 handle on port 0

Having a hard time understanding what the issue is.  Do I need to
remove old firewire packages that were installed on my system before I
upgraded to Fedora 12 (with the built in juju stack)?  I have the
following packages installed:

libraw1394_8-1.3.0-8_11.fc10.i386
libraw1394-devel-2.0.4-1.fc12.i686
libraw1394-2.0.4-1.fc12.i686
libieee1284-0.2.11-8.fc12.i686 (although no corresponding kmdl for
this package).

This is what plugreport yields:

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ plugreport
Host Adapter 0