[mythtv-users] Analog capture cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 9 19:52:53 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 February 2010 12:40:48 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/09/2010 02:36 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 February 2010 12:27:47 pm Bob Wiegand wrote:
> >> My PVR-350 is dying and I need something to replace it.
> >>
> >> Looking through the mail archives I see other people asking about analog
> >> tuners but no good responses.
> >>
> >> Are there really no good analog tuners available anymore?
> >
> > There are a couple of 350s on Ebay, but pricey. If a 150 would suit your
> > needs there are several there, at more reasonable prices.
> >
> > It's too bad the analog market is so thin these days, but it's hard to
> > beat the PVRs for Myth systems.
>
> Paying more money for a PVR-350 than a PVR-150 today is a waste of
> money.  Get a PVR-150 and then use a real video card (potentially even
> one with VDPAU support if you think there's something special about
> "hardware decoding").

I agree totally, the only reason I can think of to get a 350 is they are
easier to find than the 250s, and some folks seem to think the 250/350s produce
better results than the 150.

The output capability of the 350 is pretty much useless today, the argument
that the 350 is useful if you have only standard PCI slots is no longer valid,
since VDPAU-capable PCI video cards are available that do VDPAU. Even a PCI
version of a 5200 card would be better than using a 350 for output.

What I would like to see is a VDPAU-capable AGP card, but I haven't seen any
of those yet, and don't expect to.