[mythtv-users] Power recording rule for night time preference

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 05:20:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I discovered that my PC was the biggest power consumer in the household
>> (actually 70% of my power was consumed by my PC).
>
> How did you work that out? I'd be interested in doing something
> similar to see if my PC is a electricity hog too.

Kill-A-Watt

My dedicated backend plus 2 HDHRs plus network switch run at 75 watts.
 I think that breaks down into 35 watts for the basic PC, 10 watts for
each of its 3 hard drives, and 10 watts for the HDHRs plus switch.
The backend may draw another 10 watts when fully loaded, which is
rare.

The ION-based frontends idle at 15-20 watts each.

Lovely PG&E here in California has a tiered rate structure, and my
marginal rate is an incredible 38 to 45 cents per KWh.  This means
each continuously operated watt costs me 3 to 4 dollars per year.  On
the bright side, I get to justify buying new toys based on power
savings.

Jim