[mythtv-users] PVR-350 no signal?

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 22:03:13 UTC 2010

Brian Wood schreef:
> On Monday 08 February 2010 02:14:32 pm Corne Beerse wrote:
>

>> Scart is not limited to pal, it is just limited in video bandwidth to
>> that of the pal/secam/ntsc time. It no-where tells you to run
>> pal-encoded video. My video-recorder could do ntsc without any problem
>> and the tv-set automatically switched too.
>>
>> Hence let's call it limited to standard-definition.
>>

> Since PAL has a higher resolution than NTSC, I said "limited to PAL
> resolutions", as it means essentially the same thing.
>

>>> My knowledge of SCART is limited to what I have read here, since I've
>>> never worked on anything but USA systems.
>>>
>> Poor you. Here in Europe, it is much better ;-), we always had a better
>> resolution, we got a better color system... (no offence, just tossing
>> stones in the water :-)
>>

> I won't argue with that, PAL is a far better system than NTSC.

It's not better, it was just (a little) later. It used roughly the same
video bandwith. They too used vertical sync on the ac-current. Here in
Europe the frequency of 50 Hz gave less pictures per second (than the 60
Hz in the us) which gave a better resolution. (the 756 x 512 for pal
v.s. 640x480 for ntsc.)
> SECAM is another story, ever tried to edit it? I understand that the SECAM
> stations actually used PAL in-house, and converted to SECAM just before the
> transmitter.

As far as I know, secam is the French doing it jet a little bit better
than the rest of Europe. I've heard several stories from my wifes uncle.
My father in law was on the design committee for the color system in
pal. Unfortunately, he died way before I met him. But his brother knows
some stories. In B/W time, pal and secam where similar except for some
timing device or such. With some (1950's) electronics, they could be
converted live. Then came color. There lots of European countries had
their developments, peeking at each other. What came out was pal for
most of continental western Europe. Secam for France, Russia and major
parts of eastern Europe. All carefully looking at ntsc to avoid their
mistakes (the color scheme was way to good with the only problem of
reproduction) and carefully protecting their own markets.

> And what the heck is a "Bottle Generator" ;-)

Donnot ask me. The only things I can think of are way older than tv: A
combination of a 'leidse fles'
(http://www.teylersmuseum.eu/index.php?item=65&i_id=3425&lang=nl) and a
'electriseer machine'
(http://www.teylersmuseum.eu/index.php?item=65&i_id=3465&lang=nl):
combined in
http://www.teylersmuseum.eu/index.php?item=65&i_id=3373&lang=nl.
Unfortunately I donnot know and cannot find the english names. A 'leidse
fles' is basically a capacitor: It is a glass bottle with a metal foil
on the inside and on the outside. By grounding the outside, the inside
can be charged with a 'electriseer machine'.

On the other hand, If I look at the bottom of a glass bottle and think
about the display of old tv-sets, I can imagine a 'bottle generator' is
a kind of test-picture-generator.

However, keeping bofh in mind, it can also be a device that just blows
the glass-tube to its heaven.

>>> We used to have some PYE-TVT (UK-built) transmitters, whose exciters had
>>> SCART connectors, but I never used them or paid any attention to them, we
>>> just sent composite video into the BNC connectors and audio into the A3F
>>> ("canon", "XLR" or "QG") connectors. Those rigs are now presumably part
>>> of the WTC debris at Fresh Kills.
>>>
>> well, the uk is not europe, its something strange in the middle: They
>> donnot speak an european language, they drive at the wrong side of the
>> road, their TV transmissions donnot interconnect (either picture or
>> sound, never both)... (just something in the water to toss the rocks at :-)
>>

> One time the factory tech was at the WTC, crawling around in the final cage. He
> reached back his hand and asked me "would you hand me a torch"? This caused me
> to worry a lot about what he might want to be doing with a flame-producing
> device.
>
> Actually, at the WTC you needed what they called a "burning permit" to use an
> open flame for any purpose (there was a special exception for "smoking
> materials".)
>
> Of course he meant what us yanks call a flashlight.

Always funny, the difference between UK and US english. I prefer C for
english. Could have been a nice 'famous last words' except for the
setting you mention.

On fhashlight, I've been told there is a difference between a flashlight
and a torch. If you need to keep the button pressed, you have a
flashlight, it is intended for signalling morse code and such. If the
button is a switch that holds the light on, then you have a torch, to
get a light.

I guess I'm drifting off.
CBee