[mythtv-users] PVR-350 no signal?

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 21:14:32 UTC 2010

Brian Wood schreef:
> On Monday 08 February 2010 01:33:16 pm Frank Merrill wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>>> You don't like "Never Twice the Same Color"?
>>>
>>> Or my favorite, "System Essentially Contrary to the American Method"?
>>>
>>> So SCART is simply a different physical interface, but is essentially PAL
>>> composite?
>>>
>> I like those!
>>
>> I figured you'd know this, based upon your background, unless you are
>> just fishing, but SCART is more than just that:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
>>

> I knew most of that, but I wasn't sure if SCART was limited to PAL
> resolutions, and thus not usable for HD, which seems to be the case.

You can say scart has similar limitations as the tulip connectors
(rca-connectors). In the better quality wiring, the same cables are used.

Scart is not limited to pal, it is just limited in video bandwidth to
that of the pal/secam/ntsc time. It no-where tells you to run
pal-encoded video. My video-recorder could do ntsc without any problem
and the tv-set automatically switched too.

Hence let's call it limited to standard-definition.
> My knowledge of SCART is limited to what I have read here, since I've never
> worked on anything but USA systems.

Poor you. Here in Europe, it is much better ;-), we always had a better
resolution, we got a better color system... (no offence, just tossing
stones in the water :-)
> We used to have some PYE-TVT (UK-built) transmitters, whose exciters had SCART
> connectors, but I never used them or paid any attention to them, we just sent
> composite video into the BNC connectors and audio into the A3F ("canon", "XLR"
> or "QG") connectors. Those rigs are now presumably part of the WTC debris at
> Fresh Kills.

well, the uk is not europe, its something strange in the middle: They
donnot speak an european language, they drive at the wrong side of the
road, their TV transmissions donnot interconnect (either picture or
sound, never both)... (just something in the water to toss the rocks at :-)

CBee