[mythtv-users] Scart and such (moving away from: Re: PVR-350 no signal?

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 21:06:28 UTC 2010

Frank Merrill schreef:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
>> You don't like "Never Twice the Same Color"?
>>
>> Or my favorite, "System Essentially Contrary to the American Method"?
>>
>> So SCART is simply a different physical interface, but is essentially PAL
>> composite?
>>

> I like those!
>
> I figured you'd know this, based upon your background, unless you are
> just fishing, but SCART is more than just that:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
In the '80s when I started to fiddle with audio and video as a teenager,
I soon found out that the signaling on the scart, the tulip and the din
connector where the same. They could be interconnected just with some
wiring and solder. Hence. I have a tin cigar box around here, with a
scart connector and a bunch of tulip connectors and a din connector.
This connects roughly everything. If asked at those time, I kept the
magic in the box. I told it was battery powered to avoid ground problems :-)

btw, the din connector is a german standard for audio signaling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector. I've seen one on pre-war
mono radios. I've used the above described scart-cigar-box-connector
with din connector to use one of the first '50s stereo radio (my
grannies :-) as an amplifier. Worked like charm (except for the neighbors).

Technically spoken, scart had only one shortcoming. In the end there
where always at least 2 video signals combined: hsync and vsync, either
both on composite or sometimes sync-on-green. Some regarded that as a
problem. That's what I recall for pal (and secam for that matter). I
never compared it to ntsc. However, most times I've used it with the
composite signalling only, as rgb was only available between my computer
(msx) and  the tv. most vcr-s did not use it.

CBee
sorry for my drifting away.