[mythtv-users] Calling all Acer Revo AR1600-U910H users

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 8 02:53:31 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 February 2010 07:18:06 pm Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 6:21 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am looking to buy the Acer Revo AR1600-U910H (well since I have a
> > gift card from newegg this will cost me $100). I have seen a few
> > threads in the past so I know there are users out there.  I am
> > wondering after using this for a few months how well has it been?
> > Would you but it again given the choice?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > John M. Drescher
>
> I love mine (using it as a standalone frontend) and I wouldn't hesitate to
> get another if I needed a second frontend.  The size of a Wii, quiet,
> stylish, inexpensive, everything included.  I had zero problems getting
> mythbuntu 9.10 running on it.   It has no problems playing files recorded
> from both the HDHomerun and the HD-PVR on the backend.  I'm using the
> VDPAU-Slim playback profile on it.  I've been running it for between one
>  and two months now.  For me anyway, it's a perfect frontend.

I'll second that, an HD-capable small quiet F/E for $200 is a great price. I
haven't tried the competing ION systems, but this comes complete with a case
and a 2.5" HDD (Though I think I will netboot mine ultimately).

I'd buy another one as well, I'm not aware of a better HD F/E for the money
today, without having to play around a lot.

My main complaint is the Microsoft Tax, but that's another issue.

19 volts is kind of an odd power requirement, and makes it a little bit harder
if you want to power it yourself. Makes a carputer installation harder as
well, unless you use an inverter and the included 117v supply, which seems
silly.

It has a lot of Carputer potential IMHO.