[mythtv-users] Planning Tuners and Disk I/O for a MythTV Backend System

Jim Beckett beckett.jim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 02:00:35 UTC 2010

Kevin Bailey wrote:
> I would encourage you to get lots of space. I *thought*
> a terabyte would be sufficient. Technically, it is but
> I hate having to worry about going over.
I have 3- 500GB drives, and I have to say that although I am getting
close to filling that up, it's taken a couple of months.

I find it's way more TV than I can personally keep up with. That being
said, I am thinking about setting up some sort of user transcode job for
the recordings that I consider keepers, and reduce them down to DVD
quality to reclaim some of my currently used space.

But then again, a lot of what is stored on the disks are things I'll
probably never watch again, and should auto-expire (hasn't happened
yet), so it hasn't been a priority for me.

-Jim