[mythtv-users] Jump to time and mute

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 7 23:19:43 UTC 2010

On 02/07/2010 02:45 PM, Rafael Moslin wrote:
> On 7 February 2010 18:06, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> I suppose you're right about it being a bug Ian as it does still
>>> state it as expected behavior in the official documentation at
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.1 and a quick
>>> peruse of open Trac tickets doesn't show it as having already been
>>> reported.
>>>
>> There is no bug.  It works fine (in 0.22-fixes and trunk).  Please
>> explain what exactly you're hitting and I'll explain what you're doing
>> wrong.
> Though I'm not the OP here are my steps so you can tell me what I'm also
> doing wrong
>
> According to the docs during playback "Type a number to enter a channel
> number or jump amount (HHMM format)" and though it is not explicitly stated
> I'm making the not overly rash assumption that channel changing will occur
> when watching live TV and jumping to time with recordings. When playing back
> a recording that is 00:39 long and I type "0015" nothing happens, playback
> does not jump to 00:15 as suggested.

That's what I thought (but didn't feel like typing up until I verified
that's what was happening).  :)

You have to type in the value and /then/ hit either the SEEKREW/SEEKFWD
key (by default Left and Right) to jump that amount from the current
position

- Left arrow  Skip back
- Right arrow Skip ahead
NOTE: During playback of a recording you can enter a number of minutes to
      jump before using the Skip key. Otherwise, the configured defaults
      will be used. Seconds can be entered by entering four digits in the
      MMss format.

or the RWNDSTICKY/FFWDSTICKY key (by default < or >) to jump that far
from the beginning or end of the recording

- < starts rewind mode as if stickykeys are selected.
    If a jump amount is entered, jump to that position.
- > starts fast forward mode as if stickykeys are selected.
    If a jump amount is entered, jump that amount from the end.

or the INFO key (by default I) to jump to that point (from the
beginning) of the recording (same as HHMM<).

Note, also, there's no need to hit all of HHMM.  You can do 9I to jump
to the 9-minute position in the recording or 99I to jump to the 99th
minute of the recording or 100 to jump to the 1-hr (60th minute) of the
recording--which is the same as 60I.  Same holds true for the other
keys, too (Left/Right/</>).

In other words, the notes in keys.txt and the HOWTO (
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.1 ) are "additional
information" applying to the key descriptions that precede them
(explaining overloaded functionality).  I can see how it would be easy
to misinterpret that.

Enjoy--now that you know how to make it work.  I completely agree with
Ian that it's, "Jolly useful"--which is why I knew it works (because I
use it all the time).

Mike