[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 / VDPAU / Horizontal "noise/sparkles"

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 22:50:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I went in and change the DECODER to "STANDARD" and left the "RENDERER"
> to VDPAU and from what I can see -- the decoding artifacts are gone...
> I'll have to wait till I'm home in front of the machine, not relying
> on x11vnc, but they appear to be gone... and when I switch back to
> VDPAU decoder, they come back.
>
> Running about 38-40% CPU playing 1080i NFL football
> Changing back to VDPAU decode is 12% CPU, but artifacting.
>
> maybe a compromise, just in time for superbowl.....

If it doesn't show artifacts now, then maybe you should also try
turning back on the vdpau decoder and trying a few filter settings,
like the one I mentioned earlier (vdpaubuffersize=xx) and see if your
results change.  I do not follow the dev list, but bufferzsize
allocation may now be automatic, but it doesn't hurt to try.
I admit that I didn't see any VDPAU buffer error messages in the log
you posted, but, it can't hurt to test a few things.
so, a custom filter line may look something like:
vdpauskipchroma, vdpaubuffersize=32
or
vdpauskipchroma, vdpaucolorspace=0, vdpaubuffersize=24
or other combinations, etc

If none of that makes it any better, then at least you have a
'back-up' plan for watching those MPEG2 recordings without artifacts.

One last thing, if this is only a frontend machine, and it is only
outputting to one display, and is not doing anything else when
watching a recording, then having the CPU doing the decoding isn't a
bad thing.  And if you are happy with the de-interlacing when not
using vdpau decode, then there isn't any loss as long as playback
meets your requirements.
Offloading such to the GPU is certainly nice, but if the CPU isn't
being used for anything else anyway, and it works for you, there's no
harm in using it's power to do what you need done.

Frank