[mythtv-users] Screen blank Video all messed up

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:16:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Derek & Cindi Cass <
cass at casscoenterprises.com> wrote:

>comes back the desktop has some pixel discoloration spots.  When the
> >frontend loads, the menu screen is completely distorted (imaging taking a
> >weaving and pull every third row to the right, and then every first row to
> >the left).  That is how the screen looks.  Nothing can be seen from it.
>
> I have seen the same thing with a video card that I believe was going bad.

Sounds like an overheating issue with the video card.  If it hasn't
destroyed the card yet (which it sounds like it's still OK if it runs for a
bit before screwing up), you could try putting a fan on the card, or just
blowing on it.  And/or increasing the air flow through your case.

If it's an older video card (more than a few years old) with Electrolytic
capacitors, then it could also be the capacitors going bad.  (Look at the
capacitors and look for bulging/leaking out of the tops).  If that's the
issue, then no degree of cooling is going to help.  You'd either need to
replace the capacitors or the video card itself.  And since decent video
cards can be bought relatively cheap nowadays, it would be easier to just
replace the card.

J-e-f-f-A